Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How to follow a recipe

I'm sure this will surprise you, but I have trouble following a recipe.  It's not that I can't follow the recipe exactly.  I can.  I can make chocolate chip cookies that are to die for.  Seriously, you will eat one and come back begging for more.  I just made some for work at Christmas time and I was handing them out in the hallway to some people I did not work with directly.  A few minutes later we get a knock on our office door and it was one of the employees begging for another cookie.  And I follow the recipe on the back of the bag of chocolate chips exactly.  But I digress.



Most of the time recipes are a little difficult for me.  One of the problems is there are a lot of ingredients I don't like to eat, such as tomatoes, onions, peppers and the like and so when they are in a recipe I just substitute them with mushrooms.  Because I really, really like mushrooms.  It usually works, but salsa comes out a bit differently...not sure why.



Another problem is I have a hard time believing recipes.  I often think if a little of an ingredient is good, then more must be better.  Or I just skip ingredients I don't have on hand figuring they weren't that important anyhow.  Or the recipe jumps around on the page and I start making the next recipe down.  So I will be making brownies and then start adding in the ingredients for lasagne.



The last problem is I prefer not to use a recipe at all.  I have a theory that if you like everything you put into a dish, then it has to come out tasting yummy.  Which it actually often does, but sometimes it doesn't work so well.


Take today as an example.  It's my husbands birthday today (happy birthday sweetie...hope I am spoiling you enough).  He loves my chocolate chip cookies (see above).  And he loves chocolate ice cream.  And he might have mentioned that homemade ice cream sandwiches would be super yummy for his birthday.  And I agreed.  So I decided that is what I would make today.



No need to look up a recipe...I got the cookie part down, and I know how to buy chocolate ice cream so this was a no-brainer right?  I was so sure of myself I didn't even bother to look at Pinterest first.  I almost always at least look there and then do my own thing, but I was confidant.  So I made the cookies.  Now when I said I make incredibly yummy chocolate chip cookies, what I really meant is I am really good at getting out all the ingredients while my husband actually makes the cookies.  And then I am really good at spooning them on the pan to cook.



I forgot about that part today and they did not look like they always do when they come out of the oven.  In fact they were very small and thick, not large and kinda flat like usual.  Now remember I was using them to make ice cream sandwiches so small and thick was not the preferred type of cookie I was going for.  But I tasted a bunch to make sure they were edible and they still tasted wonderful so I would make it work.



I was running out of time so I let them mostly cool down and got out the ice cream.  I tried spooning some ice cream on the cookie and it wasn't going so well so I decided to melt the ice cream just a bit and stir it all up and then it plopped on the cookies very nicely.  I put on a second cookie, wrapped it in waxed paper and popped them all in the freezer.

I was so proud of myself for pulling this off and could not wait for dinner to be over to surprise my husband.

The time was here and I pulled out my masterpieces.  My son opened his up first and his comment was, "Is the freezer working?  Mine is all melted."  Well that is not what a master chef wants to hear when she unveils her amazing dessert.  I knew the freezer was working so something else had to be the matter.  When everyone had the same dilemma my sweet husband inquired if I had let the cookies cool all the way before I put them together.  Perhaps the ice cream had melted out of the center of the cookies.



Hmmm...well maybe I meant to make frozen chocolate chip cookies soaked in chocolate ice cream.  They were still super yummy, although incredibly messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment