Friday, April 5, 2013

My Love/Hate Relationship

I don't think I have too many people that hate me.  I may have some that I am unaware of, ADHD will do that, make you not realize that you are driving other people crazy.  I know that I have some people that are not fond of me, but they haven't unfriended me on Facebook yet, so I don't think of them as hating me.  But this isn't about people (I almost forgot that for a second as I am writing this post while chatting on Facebook with someone I know is a friend and also arranging a future babysitter for my youngest daughter).  This post is about calendars.

How disappointing you say?  Who even has a relationship with calendars?  I do...and it is a love/hate relationship.  I love putting together a calendar.  I love getting new ones and putting all I have to do on them.  I love looking at all the fabulous calendars in an office supply store.  (Which by the way are awesome stores.  I love love love office supplies.  And I can't explain why.  It's not like I need many of them.  I just think it would be cool to have a desk filled with every office supply imaginable...just in case someone was in need of a pink paperclip in the shape of a butterfly.)



So I'm really great at getting a calendar and starting to fill everything in.  And then a day passes.  I look at the calendar many times during the day and it helps me to remember that my children will be home from school at 3:30, I need to cook dinner for everyone at 5:00 and I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks.



Then day 2 passes.  I see that the kids will be arriving home from school at 3:30 (like they always do...imagine that), I need to cook everyone dinner they will refuse to eat at 5:00 (I'm so excited) and I have a doctors appointment in 1 weeks and 6 days.  Even when I am busy and have a lot on the calendar, I look at it and say why am I looking at this, I know what I have to do today.

By day 3 I know what is on the calendar and I don't bother looking at it.  In two weeks I miss the doctors appointment because I forgot to look at the calendar.  After a few months I try all over again.  I want so bad to be one of those organized mom's who uses a calender and never misses an event.  But I'm not.  I've even tried putting a calendar on the fridge because I know I have to look there because I go to the fridge all the time.  That one worked for a little while, but then I forgot to look at that one as well.



Now that I am a counselor I really do need to use a calendar.  It's important that I am at the appointments when I say I am going to be.  For some reason people don't like it when they show up and I don't.  Thankfully we now have smart phones.  I don't think they are quite smart enough though.  If they were really smart I would be able to set up an appointment with a client, it would overhear me and put it on my calendar.  Then a little while before the appointment it would let me know I had an appointment.  Then I wouldn't even have to look at my calendar anymore.  See...now that is a smart phone.



I have decided what I really need is to get really rich and have a personal assistant.  The help wanted ad would look something like this:

Looking to hire a Personal Assistant.  I need someone who can keep track of my calender and remind me when I need to be places.  And by remind I mean tell me enough time in advance so I can get ready, and keep reminding me when I forget 2 minutes later...all while not being annoying about it.  And if you could drive me there too, that would be great, because I really don't like driving.  I get lost a lot.  And you get bonus points if you clean my house.  Please do not apply if you have ADHD, I have enough of that swirling around me as it is.

So now all I have to do is make lots of money, which requires me to actually show up for my counseling sessions, which requires me to keep track of my calendar...can you see the catch-22 I am in?  Maybe I will just keep blogging instead and hope lots of people love my blog and I can get rich through it.  All I have to do is remember to keep writing posts, an assistant would really help with that as well.  Hey, throw me a bone please...share my blog with some people with connections.  I will have my assistant reward you handsomely.

No comments:

Post a Comment