Monday, June 25, 2012

The Art of Saying Thank You

My oldest daughter graduated from high school about six weeks ago.



We were very proud of her and did what most parents of graduating seniors do...we sent out graduation announcements. These weren't just your ordinary announcements, we painstakingly sorta custom designed them and had them printed.



 They were extra special because Coleen from coleenhauthphotography.com took her senior pictures. (Coleen is not paying for this endorsement...I just think she is super awesome.) Coleen almost moved to Alaska recently and I was panicked about how I was going to be able to afford a trip to Alaska for our family pictures. But she isn't moving to Alaska so all is well for me.



Sorry, ADHD tangent...back to graduation. So we sent out the announcements and several really thoughtful people sent my daughter graduation gifts.



Immediately I let her know that she would need to send out thank you notes because I figure if people are kind enough to take the time to send you a gift the least you can do is send a thank you note right?

My daughter of course agreed that it would be a good thing to do.  A couple weeks later I asked if she had sent the notes. She replied, "Oh not yet, I forgot." So I went a step further and gave her a stack of thank you notes with envelopes and let her know where the stamps were.



A week or so later I noticed the cat had thrown up on the stack of untouched thank you notes that were still sitting on the counter.



I immediately got mad at both the cat and my daughter. I had handmade those notes...how dare he puke on them? And if the notes had already been written then they wouldn't be sitting on the counter for the cat to expel his lunch upon.

So I cleaned up the mess, found some new clean thank you notes and let my daughter know these notes were to be written today. I got a text at some point during the day asking who she needed to write to. When I got home from work I saw that she had written about 1 1/2 notes. As a reference she only has to write four notes so she is close to half done with the writing at this point.



Once again I reminded her the notes needed to be written and a few days later she was able to finish the other 2 1/2 notes. Fantastic I thought...thank you notes are done. I put them out of mind until this morning when I was eating breakfast...I saw all four notes hiding under some papers on the table.



So to our wonderful friends and family who sent graduation gifts, the notes are written, they really are...they might get sent out before she graduates from college. But then again...no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment