Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Who does that?

I have recently picked up a new annoying habit.  I say new because I don't think I have done it in the past, but maybe I did and I'm just now becoming aware of it.  I like the sound of new though, because I really don't like the thought that I may have been doing this for years.  As for the annoying part, it's not annoying to me, but if someone else did this I would be annoyed, so even though I have not been told I'm being annoying, I'll assume this is the case.

Okay, I hope that was clear and we can now move on.

So here is how the new annoying habit works.  My husband and I are getting ready to go somewhere....for this example lets say the store...and if you want to be specific let's say that big box store with lots of blue everywhere and low prices.  (We happen to live around the corner from such a store and go there pretty much daily, if not two or three times a day.  Having ADHD and living so close to such a store is both a blessing and a curse...I can go into that on some future post.)  Okay so back to my husband and I going to the store.  He will say something like, "I'm going to go change my shirt and use the restroom then I'll be ready to go."  I will say, "ok" and proceed to get my phone out and either check Facebook or kick a friend's behind in Scramble With Friends. (My two favorite app on my phone.)



He will come downstairs and say something to the effect of, "Ok, I'm ready".  I will then shut off my phone and start heading out the door with him.  And then the new annoying habit kicks in.  I will think of a hundred things I have to do before I leave, such as go to the restroom, find my purse, keys, wallet or sunglasses, turn off some lights, start the dishwasher or any number of small activities.  My sweet husband will stand by the door whip out his phone and never say a word as to how I could have been doing all this while he was getting ready.  I do everything I need to do before heading out the door for our run to the store and half-way to the car I will realize that I do not have my phone.  I cannot possibly go to the store around the corner without my phone so he again waits while I go find where on earth I put down my phone.  And he never complains...ever.  (Reason number 5,326 why I love him so much.)



So I have been slowly noticing that I have this new annoying habit, but it usually only delays us 5 minutes or less so I haven't been worried about it.  Plus my amazing husband doesn't complain so I haven't seen the need to change my ways.  Until this weekend.  Same routine...we were going somewhere and my husband stated he was going to go get ready to go.  I messed around, I believe on the computer this time, until he stated he was ready to go.  This time I said, "sure I'm ready, but do you mind if I take a shower first?"



Really?  Who says that?  (Well...me I guess)  I had had plenty of time to shower while my husband was getting ready.  I had had plenty of time to shower all day long.  I waited until he was ready to go before I decided that I might want to shower for the day.  It was about 6pm by this time.  And you know what he said?  He said, "okay" and patiently waited for me.  Amazing.



So now being aware of my new annoying habit I'm going to consciously try to get ready while my husband is getting ready.  Because I would like my new annoying habit to become the old annoying habit I used to have but no longer have anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment